Bachelor in Information Technology
University of Colombo
BIT is a degree programme of three years duration introduced in the year 2000 by University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) in order to develop the Human Resources in Information & Communication Technologies. The University of Colombo will award the degree.
- Nationally & Internationally recognised ICT qualification
- Flexible study options with Diploma level exit points after year 1 & 2
- e-learning support through Learning Management System (LMS)
- TV programmes (UCSC TV)
- Web portal for on-line access to study material
- CD-based content for off-line access
- Leading private institutes provide training through regional branches
- International collaboration for curriculum design and delivery
Each year consists of two semesters. Evaluation is through continuous assessments through the LMS and semester examinations. A person with three passes in the G.C.E. (A/L) examination in one sitting, FIT (Foundation In Information Technology) conducted by UCSC or any other academic/professional qualifications deemed equivalent to above could apply for the programme. All applicants who satisfy the above entry requirements and pass the selection test which consists of analytical, quantitative and communication skills would be enrolled for the BIT degree programme provided they are not less than 17 years of age.
The minimum duration of the BIT degree programme will be 3 academic years.
A Diploma in Information Technology (DIT) will be awarded on successful completion of course examinations of the first year.
A Higher Diploma in Information Technology (HDIT) will be awarded to holders of the IT Diploma on successful completion of course examinations of the second year
Degree Certificate (BIT) will be awarded on successful completion of year 1, year 2 and year 3 examinations and fulfilment of other requirements.